As we ring in the new year, it's a great time to think about setting some self-care goals and making a commitment to prioritizing your physical, mental, and emotional health. One aspect of self-care that is often overlooked is skincare. Taking care of your skin can not only improve its appearance, but it can also have a positive impact on your overall health and well-being. One way to incorporate skincare into your self-care routine is to set a new year's resolution to establish a consistent skincare routine.
We all want to have that radiant, healthy glow, right? That's why it's important to start with a 28 day skincare routine that works for you and your unique skin type.
Your Skin and the 28 Day Skin Cell Cycle
The skin is the largest organ in the body, and it serves as a protective barrier against external threats such as bacteria, UV radiation, and environmental toxins. It also helps to regulate your body temperature and maintain proper hydration levels. But your skin is more than just a protective shield. It is also a dynamic, living tissue that is constantly undergoing renewal and repair. This process is known as the skin cell cycle, which takes place over a period of 28 days.
Day 1-7: During the first week of the cycle, your skin cells are in a state of growth. They are actively dividing and producing more cells, which helps to repair any damage that may have occurred to your skin. This is why cuts and scrapes tend to heal relatively quickly, as your skin is able to regenerate itself and form new, healthy tissue.
Day 8-14: In the second week of the cycle, your skin cells begin to die off. They release their waste products and prepare for the next cycle. This is also when your skin starts to lose its natural glow and radiance, as the dead skin cells start to accumulate on the surface of your skin.
Day 15-21: During the third week, your skin cells are in a state of repair. They are working to fix any damage that was caused in the previous week and also producing more cells to replace the ones that have died off. This helps to maintain the youthful appearance and health of your skin.
Day 22-28: In the final fourth week of the cycle, your skin cells are in a state of destruction. They are breaking down their own molecules and preparing for the next cycle. This is when your skin may start to feel itchy and irritated, as the old cells are being replaced by new ones.
Tips for Healthy Skincare
A consistent skincare routine can help to support the 28 day skin cell turnover process and promote the health and appearance of your skin. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Cleanse regularly: Cleansing removes dirt, oil, and makeup from the surface of the skin, which can help to support the natural skin cell turnover process.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliating removes dead skin cells from the surface of the skin, which can make way for new, healthy skin cells to emerge. Just be sure to use a gentle exfoliator and not to exfoliate too frequently, as over-exfoliating can cause irritation and damage to the skin.
- Use products with active ingredients: Products that are formulated with active ingredients, such as antioxidants and vitamins, can help to nourish and support the skin during the cell turnover process.
- Moisturize: Moisturizing helps to retain moisture in the skin and protect it from dryness, which can support healthy skin cell growth.
- Protect your skin: Using products like sunscreen can help to protect your skin from the harmful effects of UV radiation, which can interfere with the skin cell turnover process.
And last but not least, remember to take time to relax and unwind as part of your complete skincare routine. Stress can have a negative impact on the skin, so it's important to find ways to manage stress and promote relaxation. This might involve engaging in activities like meditation, yoga, or simply taking a few minutes to breathe deeply and clear your mind.
A new personalized skincare routine can provide an effective path to self-care. iuno’s 28 day kit which leverages the science of proteomics, the mapping of your complete protein make-up that determines your health, can help you achieve your New Year’s self-care resolution and promote a radiant and healthy you. By following a consistent iuno’s skincare routine called The Protocol, you'll be well on your way to achieving your best skin yet. So go ahead and pamper yourself by trying the iuno 3 month protocol – your skin (and your overall well-being) will thank you at every stage of your skin .